poetry, prose, and image by Brittney S Holland

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Remembering 2010

It’s 2011 now, and while I find myself excited about all the possibilities ahead, I’m sad to see 2010 go. 2010 was a good year for me, a year of acceptance and healing, a year of self-discovery and personal growth, a year of new beginnings.

After all, I started Simon Says in 2010. I wish I could say that I joined the ranks of bloggers and never lost momentum, but I can’t. I started. I wrote a few posts. I went through a phase of self-doubt and silence. Finally, I chose courage and gained momentum. I’ll call 2010 the year of “finding my voice” and 2011 the year of “finding my rhythm” here on Simon Says.

I also accepted Karen Walrond’s Beauty of Different self-portrait challenge. I spent twenty-eight days photographing myself…and using each image as an opportunity to discover what makes me differently beautiful. What an experience! It was fun turning the camera on myself…a little unnerving at times, but fun…thrilling even. I am not Hollywood beautiful, nor am I model material. But I am beautiful….differently beautiful. I see that now, thanks to Karen and her challenge.

I even took my first photography workshop and joined our local museum’s photography guild.

But enough about me…

Simon has grown into a full-sized weim, but he is still very much a puppy. He still whines e-a-r-l-y in the morning to be let out of his kennel. He still chews and destroys with no regard for human, sentimental attachment or monetary value. He begs to be noticed. He begs for treats. He begs for his evening scoops of kibble. He refuses to be ignored and uses his big, behemoth body to levy his demands.

-photograph taken by my son with iPhone

Here Simon is demanding I take a break from photo editing. He's wormed his way into my desk chair, his most recent antic. I am so ridiculously in love with this mutt. But then, those of you who have been following Simon Says already know that.

Happy 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment